Marketing is the backbone of all businesses. The online business is not an exception. In this article, I am going to tell you five easy ways to kick-start your internet business, internet marketing advertising. No money is made without sales.
The ability to make consistent, high-volume sales depends on how fruitful and logical your marketing and advertising strategies are. To make money online, there is a great need for marketing. This article entitled “How to start internet marketing in five easy steps” shows easy ways to start internet marketing advertising.
What is internet marketing?
“Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of selling the product or service. It is a critical business function for attracting customers.” Sources: Wikipedia
Internet marketing (also referred to as online marketing) is the process of advertising and marketing to prospects and customers through the internet. various methods are employed to market online. These give rise to the evolvement of different marketing techniques on internet.
All of these techniques are summed up to content marketing because all transactions on internet are made through provision of quality contents that communicate well with readers. The techniques include
- web marketing: web marketing implies marketing products to potential buyers on the internet through your blog or website. This is the focus of this article.
- Email marketing. This is the act of marketing through email to your subscribers. These subscribers must have previously subscribed to your email list. This marketing concept will be covered in our subsequent articles that will focus on how to build and optimize your email list.
- Article marketing: Marketing your services and products by publishing your promotional articles on article directories.
- Social media, forum and guest blogging marketing: You can market your pre-selected products and services through social media like Facebook, Twitter, forum posting.
Five Easy Steps in Creating and Sustaining Internet Marketing Business
- Engaging in Market Research, Keyword Sourcing and Niche Finding
- Product Creation: This talks about finding products to meet market needs
- Creating Virtual Office/shop (website creation)
- Generating Traffic
ONE – Engage Yourself Deeply in Market Research, Niche Finding and Keyword Sourcing
Market research. The first step to start an internet marketing is doing market research. A market is a place where people gather for the purpose of exchanging (buying and selling) of products and services. In choosing a market, a buyer considers the place where the products or services required are offered for sale mostly at the cheapest price while the sellers choose the market consisting high number of potential buyers-that is high market volume.
“Market research involves digging into the current hot products that are highly demanded by the targeted community.”
Finding niche. A niche is a product or service and/or market created in order to meet the interest and demand of a pre-defined group of people known as the target audience of that niche. In internet marketing business, the term niche includes the words or phrases that are used in describing the products and services by the online community when searching for information associated with the products.
These words or phrases are called keywords. For instance, terms like facial beauty cream, anti-ageing cream can be used to describe small niches (called micro-niches) under health & beauty, and beauty cream. To make money online, you need to find a niche targeted to a group of audience that share interest in the products and services that may be offered within the niche. So also is finding the required perfect keywords is essential.
Keywords sourcing. In internet marketing, finding a good and profitable niche is the most important and critical aspect of the business and you‘ll give it utmost attention. Since the movement on the internet is by means of words and navigation by clicking anchor text, we talk of keyword research in finding the needs, aspiration and problems of the targeted community or groups of people.
The main idea here, is to compare the volume of traffic (demand for the keywords) and the quality and quantity of the products/services/information already created around the keywords (supply). In marketing, we describe this as demand/supply force. As far as internet marketing business is concerned, the deal is described as the traffic/Competition Analysis. There are lots of tools and methods you can use in your keyword research. Some of this tools are available free, some are premium/paid. You can check:
- Google keywords tool here – Now Keywords planner (available for free)
- and WordTracker tool here
- keyword Discovery at KeywodDiscovery
You can learn how to use the new Google keywords planner here
With keywords tools, you will find out
- Which products/services are hot in demand by reasonable members of online users
- How much of the products or related services is in the market.
- What is the best profitable way to describe your product/service.
- If a market is profitable or not.
TWO – Create Products and Services for the Market
The next thing you do is to create products and services relating to the niche to meet the demand of your target audience if you don’t already have one. There are two approaches to this:
- Affiliate products
- Own products
Affiliate marketing is a marketing system in which you market products and services belonging to other companies – products or services owners in exchange for sales commission. The commission ranges from 5 – 75% depending on the type of product you are promoting as well as affiliate network. Affiliate networks (sometimes called affiliate service provider) are company that serve as clearing agents or facilitator between you (the affiliate) and the product/service owners. Affiliates are sometimes referred to as publishers because online sales are made via information and content that you publish on your blogs or website in order to attract prospective online customers. This information is coined in form of product review, pre-selling, email marketing and others.
Own products: Though affiliate products can get you in the marketing track easier and quickly, it is worthwhile you start the move to create your own product in the soonest. This will grant you four (4) better opportunities (advantages):
- You keep 100% of the money from sales you generate
- You create wider market for your products through affiliates to whom you allot the product sales percentage as commission.
- If the product is highly valued to the users, your integrity, trust and reliability on the internet market -as the product owner – increase tremendously.
- Your product affords you an opportunity for viral marketing. When a customer buy your product and find it useful, they can easily buy some other products (affiliate or own products) you might have recommended through the first product sold.
THREE- Create a Virtual Office or Shop (This is your website)
- You have done your market research which helped you choose a winning niche
- You have created relevant keywords around the niche
- You have carefully selected products to market (whether affiliate or your own products) in line with the niche and keywords
The next action step you have to undertake is creating a virtual shop to market the products in your chosen niche. To create a virtual estate (called website) for your online business, you need:
- A domain name
- A web hosting
- Quality content
- Website design
Domain name: Domain name is the online address system that your prospects and customers use to locate you on internet. I wrote an article on how to choose the right domain name for your website. The domain name that houses this content is aceclue.com.
You can register for a domain name to serve as the identity to your online business. Your domain name may contain your theme keywords in order to enhance your position on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs). I recommend using an eye-catchy, short, meaningful and easy-to-remember domain name. Just as important as chosing the right domain name is choosing a good accredited domain registrar to manage your domain name
Web hosting: You need the service of a reliable hosting company to accommodate your site on cyber space. This will make your website visible and accessible on the internet.
Quality Contents: Then, you create quality contents around your niche and marketing keywords. The content can be in form of how-to articles. When writing your contents, you must put the interest of your target audience and readers into consideration. Picture the ways your articles can be helpful to them and satisfy their needs. In the beginning, don’t write to promote any of your products. Your first set of articles should be free of pre-selling. Don’t promote until you gain large audience.
“The emphasis here is good quality contents that is interesting, attracting, likable and solve people’s needs”
Clean Website or Blog: Design a clean, simple, user-friendly website or blog. If you have budget to spend extra cash up-front, you may hire the service of a web designer. However, I recommend you use WordPress which is an open source blogging software to build your blog or website. You can easily install WordPress on your domain with few clicks from your web host control panel. After installing WordPress on to your web domain, post your pre-written contents (articles) on a regular time frame. You can learn how to create a WordPress site here.
The easy way to get your website up fast is to buy WordPress. You can find the following resources useful to get your blog or website set up in no time.
- Free WordPress Installation Tutorial Service via Softaculous
- Blogging Fortune: How to Start a Blog That Makes Money
FOUR- Generating Traffic
The next action step for you towards making money online is to generate targeted traffic to your blog or website. Target traffic implies potential human visitors that will mostly be interested in the services or products you offer. Series of efforts (both free and paid) should be implemented to increase your traffic volume and ultimately your sales. The first traffic generating method you might consider is organic search traffic. These are some ways to get traffic to your site:
- Produce winning original contents
- Create simple, user-friendly site. Check Google webmaster guideline
- Search engine optimisation (SEO) both on-page and off-page
- Link baiting
- Marketing your site on social media
- Employ article marketing
- Building your email list and spreading news of your WebPages and post to your subscribers
- Blog commenting
- Forum posting
- Give away helpful tips in form of e-books, videos and free training
- Offline advertisement
By monetization, we mean converting your existing traffic into revenue. Once the traffic is high enough, you improvise your monetization model (which in your case as described above is the products and services) into your website. Other ways to monetize your website or blog aside own products or affiliate products are:
- Pay per click (PPC) advertising
- Cost per impression
- Banner advertising
- Direct space & page sponsoring
- Provision of premium contents for paid members
- Organizing online training and mentoring program
What do you feel? How Do you start your online marketing, What experience do you have? The road to success isn’t always smooth. Share your experience with us through the comment box below.